December 27, 2009
When you’re heading out to the mailbox, church or the store this winter here’s some things to keep in mind to prevent falling:
- Before it freezes- cover surfaces around your home with de-icer, sand or kitty litter. Carry a small bag in your car or pocket to sprinkle on patches wherever you’re going.
- Watch for broken paving and cracked sidewalks. Try walking in the grass instead.
- Wear proper fitting boots/shoes with low, wide heels and rubber soles, not smooth leather. Try using snow/ ice cleats that fit over your boots/shoes.
- Walk flat-footed, not on your toes, lengthen your stride and give yourself extra time.
- Carry a flashlight. It will make it easier for you to see problems in your path.